Mrs. Thurman- School Counselor
About Mrs. Thurman
Welcome Roadrunners! I am your School Counselor and I am thrilled to be a part of the Reeds family!! Although I am new to Reeds, this is my fourteenth year in the counseling field. I graduated from Gardner-Webb University with a MA Ed.S in Mental Health Counseling, and am a Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor and Licensed Professional School Counselor.
Even though I have an array of counseling experiences, working in the school setting is by far my favorite. I believe every student is a gift with strengths, and I love assisting students in the discovery of their personal strengths and overcoming obstacles along the way.
What is a School Counselor?
A School Counselor is a support person that students can talk to when they are faced with a difficult situation. A child may need to speak individually with a counselor if he/she is angry, stressed, sad, have a conflict, etc. School Counselors are not advice givers nor can they erase a student's problems, however, counselors assist in empowering and teaching students the skills to cope with challenging situations.
As a School Counselor, I perform the following roles in order to promote positive development in academic, career, and personal/social domains:
- Individual counseling
- Small group counseling
- Classroom guidance (i.e. Large group counseling)
- Attend and participate in PLCs
- Administer state assessments as needed
- Observe students in various school environments
- Consult and collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators, social workers, and students
- Respond to school crises or emergency situations
- Provide information and resources to parents on a variety of issues
- Serve as a member of the MTSS team
What a student shares with a counselor is confidential unless he/she:
- Gives permission for the information to be shared.
- If the child reports abuse or neglect.
- If the child shares current harm to him/herself.
- If the child shares plans to hurt himself/herself.
- If the child shares that he/she is or plans to hurt others.
- A court order mandates a breach in confidentiality.
If you believe your student could benefit from meeting with me individually, please feel free to contact me.
Mrs. Thurman's Hours: M-F